SVForum Main Event- Getting your Startup Up & Running in 2012
Online registration is now closed. Walk-ins welcome.
You’ve got a great idea for what you think is will be the next Pinterest/Genentech/Zipcar/Cloudera.You want to get going, but you're smart enough to know that only a small fraction of startups attract venture funding, and only a few of those go on to commercial success. So how do you get YOUR startup up and running in this new cloud centric climate, what people and resources do you need, when can you wing it, and when do you need to have everything buttoned down?? Many of the early choices you make can dictate the outcome later down the road. So what are the critical decisions, and what can you do to best position yourself for success?
Please join us as we bring together a panel of experienced entrepreneurs and investors to share their knowledge on what it takes to build a viable, fundable company in the current climate,
This lively panel of investors and entrepreneurs who have been there/done that will explore the following questions & more to help you make the decisions that are best for you.
- How do you qualify & quantify the market, before you spend time, effort & money building a solution nobody wants?
- Can you do it all on your own, or do you need co-founders to help you? And if you do, what should they look like & where do I find them?
- Do I need to legally form a company up front, or can it wait until we get funded?
- How do you compensate co-founders & early employees? How do you split the equity? How do you pay people when you don’t have much/any cash?
- How do you get the product built if you don’t have the necessary skill? Attract co-founders & early team, or outsource?
- How important is IP, and how do you keep control of it?
- Do you want/need investors? What are the control issues, how do you qualify that they have the same motivators that you have?
- What are investors looking for in a startup?
- How do I find out which VC funds actually have money to invest?
- How do I not get into trouble with the employment division of California
- And what are your liabilities if it doesn’t take off as planned?
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm Networking and hors d’oeuvres
7:00 pm - 8:15 pm Panel discussion and Q&A
8:15 pm - 8:30 pm Additional networking