3D Printing & Scanning SIG - netfabb, structures and more
Learn about the latest developments with netfabb 3D software version 5.2 (new!), including how it uses structures to create brand new materials which do not exist in nature (biomimicry), and more with Ulf Lindhe, Business Development Manager at netfabb GmbH.
netfabb provides innovative software solutions that reduces production costs and increases efficiency in 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing. netfabb is a spin-off from the manufacturing at FIT and the netfabb software bridges the gap between content and machines. Software solutions from netfabb range from file fixing and direct communication with 3D printers to professional solutions for production and digital materials. (Microsoft's 3D Model Repair service is powered by netfabb!)
Highlights of netfabb 3D software's recently released version 5.2 include:
- Ability to design and create colorful parts
- Advanced graphic tools for simple surface
- Parametric color, texture, and picture application for complexly curved surfaces
- Ability to work simultaneously with multiple build platforms to maximize your work efficiency
- Refined part orientation
- Plug-in for Microsoft® Kinect®
- Japanese user interface
For more information on each of these exciting new features related to 3D printing, click on the netfabb v5.2 features.
It has been a year since Ulf's last presentation to our group. This is a great opportunity to find out what's new!
This is a joint meeting with the 3D Printing for Education Meetup. Educational exhibits from Discovery Charter Schools and artist/educator Corinne Takara.
About Our Speaker:
Ulf Lindhe - Business Development Manager, netfabb GmbH
Ulf is an Engineer and Business Developer with a passion for growing technology companies from zero to success. Ulf received his M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineer and Naval Architecture at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden and had an extensive background from offshore, aerospace and ship design before coming to the 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing industry in early 2002. Ulf was head of sales and marketing at Arcam AB in its early years of fast growth building an international market for its Electron Beam Melting Additive Manufacturing machines for orthopedic implants and aerospace components in titanium. Ulf joined the FIT Group of companies in 2008 and acts as Business Development manager for netfabb.
6:30 PM – 7:00 PM Registration & Networking
7:00 PM – 7:10 PM Announcements & Introductions
7:10 PM – 7:20 PM Sponsors: Cogswell College & Pacific Crest
7:20 PM – 8:00 PM Ulf Lindhe, netfabb GmbH
8:00 PM – 8:30 PM Q&A
8:30 PM – 9:00 PM Networking
Some netfabb testimonials (http://www.netfabb.com/testimonial.php):
- "netfabb is a very significant development in software for design of parts for manufacturing using rapid prototyping technologies. The software frees the product development engineer from the limitations of complexity and file size in conventional CAD programs. We use the software for designing lightweight high performance ceramic structures with tailored macro and micro porosity." Andrew Jeffery, Founder and President, Viridis Innovation LLC, Boston MA, www.viridisinnovation.com
- "netfabb’s Selective Space Structures (3S) has been incredibility useful to us. It is the only software we have found to date that is capable handling and producing large net structures required for the scale of components we produce for the aerospace industry."
- “We were pleased to find netfabb a reliable and powerful software capable of producing complex lattice structures with locally tailored geometry. In the design of customized Titanium Implants, such a capability proves to be very useful in enhancing bone response and controlling the mechanical behavior of the implants. The software has very intuitive commands that enhances the creative design of structures, minimizing time and memory usage, making the production of parts with very high complexity a breeze rather more than just a possibility.” Gilbert Chahine, Research Assistant and PhD Candidate, Research Center for Advanced Manufacturing, Lyle School of Engineering, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, USA http://www.smu.edu/Lyle/Departments/ME/Research/RCAM.aspx
Located in Sunnyvale, Calif., in the heart of the Silicon Valley, Cogswell College is an accredited four-year institution of higher education with a curriculum that fuses art, engineering and entrepreneurship. As one of the Bay Area’s premier colleges, its novel academic approach offers an integrated model that emulates the industry environment—a collaborative, project-based, learning approach that uses multidisciplinary teams to take projects from concept through the delivery pipeline.
Pacific Crest Securities
Pacific Crest Securities is an independent firm focused exclusively on technology that conducts equity research, institutional sales and trading, M&A advisory, and public and private financings. The firm's unique approach gives it an unparalleled depth of knowledge and expertise in technology and technology investing. Pacific Crest, whose success is predicated on the success of its clients, has received numerous awards for its expertise, including Institutional Investor's "Best of the Boutiques" award for its technology research the past five years. Headquartered in Portland, Ore., Pacific Crest also has offices in San Francisco, Calif., Stamford, Conn. and Boston, Mass.